“I dismiss the cynics who say that this new century cannot be another [in which] we lead the world in battling immediate evils and promoting the ultimate good.” — President Barack Obama
- President Obama has yet to close Guantanamo Bay as promised. And now he’s proposing shipping detainees to an equally shady correction facility in Illinois — a move that has civil liberties groups up in arms.
- He has not ended the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. On the contrary, he has continued George Bush’s illegial war in Iraq and escalated the war in Afghanistan — sending 17,000 more troops to the war-torn region and promising 30,000 more. He has also escalated the undeclared “wars” in Yemen and Pakistan.
- He has steadily increased the defense budget. For the 2011 fiscal year, he is asking for $708.3 billion in defense spending — an almost 200 billion-dollar increase from George Bush’s 2009 budget.
- He has pledged a record $3 billion to Israel in the form of military aid as part of the 2011 defense budget.
- He has not reversed the anti-civil liberties policies and laws enacted by the Bush administration such as the controversial Military Commissions Act of 2006. And in February, he renewed the Patriot Act.
- Like Bush’s takeover of the automobile and banking industries, Obama has taken over the healthcare industry. He has simultaneously increased the deficit, spending, and government power.
Obama is no anti-war progressive. Like Bush before him, he is a big-government war-mongering interventionist. But shock jocks like Hannity and O’Reilly have conservative America convinced otherwise. And in November, conservatives will flock to the voting booths — still convinced.